New Beginnings is a full day, high school for parenting and pregnant teen girls located in Chaska. In addition to helping students obtain a high school diploma, New Beginnings provides pregnancy counseling, childbirth preparation, parenting education and much more.
We have an opportunity to partner with New Beginnings and develop a mentoring program. The goal is to pair a student with a mentor that can come alongside, provide encouragement and assist with developing life skills. Developing a healthy relationship and also modeling healthy relationships is a key component as well.
Being a mentor would involve:
- Taking time to get to know your mentee on a personal basis and establish trust.
- Doing service projects together.
- Helping your student explore options after graduating from high school.
- Assisting your student with applying for colleges, FAFSA’s, etc.
- Coaching on life skills.
We ask mentors to make a commitment for at least a year and to meet at least twice a month with your student. Establishing a relationship and trust is extremely important. Many of these students have not had consistency in their lives and a consistent, healthy relationship is vital to overall success. You and your student would arrange a schedule that is suitable for both parties.
If you are interested in becoming a mentor, please complete this form. This opportunity is limited to females only, ages 24+.
In addition to our mentoring program, you can serve in any of the following ways:
- Attend an upcoming Training and Mentor Meeting
- Join our birthday club. Choose a month, February-May and provide a birthday cake and personalized cards for that month.
- Support special events throughout the year.
- Help with future retreats for students and their children.